Sunrise on November 25


Sunrise on November 25
Originally uploaded by CaptPiper.
Friday morning, released from the pressures of Thanksgiving, we arose to a bitter cold morning. Ice crystals in the air created this sun pillar and I ran out with my coat over my PJs to capture it, walking all the way to the road to avoid the telephone wires that crossed my view.
By the time I got back to the house, my feet were icicles and my hands were almost numb, despite my gloves. One must suffer for one's art.

The best pillar I ever saw was years ago when I was going to college. I was teaching an afterschool recorder group in a nearby town. As I traveled, the sun was setting and a golden pillar formed. About two thirds of the way up a narrow flat cloud crossed the beam, catching the gold light and creating a perfect cross. Of course, I didn't have my camera with me, but the image has been in my mind all these years.

Comments

Popular Posts